Hair is the most attractive feature about a person. Bouncy healthy hair can amp your look within seconds. However, there are a lot of factors that contribute to disturbing it’s health. It could be the pollution, hair products or hair care regime that you have been following.
You will be surprised to know that all these days you have been making shampoo related mistakes. Yes, you heard it right. Go through this article to know more about where you have been going wrong.
Shampoo mistakes can be split into three sections. The three sections being: pre-shampooing mistakes, mistakes while shampooing and post-shampooing mistakes.
But after this make sure you choose nothing but the best chemical-free, sulfate-free shampoo for your hair.
- The first mistake you are making is while oiling your hair. If you use excess oil to oil your hair you will in turn be using excess shampoo to get that oil off your hair. Using excess shampoo can lead to dryness.
- Using shampoos that contain sulphates in them. Avoid them as much as possible because they will end up damaging your hair in the long run. Opt for sulphate free shampoos.
- Forgetting to untangle your hair before the shower. This will lead to hair breakage.
Mistakes you’re making while shampooing
- The most common mistake people do is to directly apply the shampoo onto the scalp or hair. Do not do that! The shampoo will not distribute evenly over your scalp or hair. Pour the shampoo on to your palm and dilute it with some water before applying it on your scalp.
Make sure your hair is wet too. If your hair is not wet enough then this will only make your hair dry and your scalp dry and flaky. It is advisable to stand under the water for at least 30 seconds before you shampoo your hair.
- The second mistake is using hot water to wash off the lather. If you do not want dry and frizzy hair then use lukewarm water to wash your hair. Use cold water to rinse off the conditioner.
- Rubbing the shampoo over your scalp or hair in a harsh manner is the next mistake. Be easy on your hair.
- Some of you might be using your fingernails to massage your hair while shampooing. This is a big NO NO! You will be breaking your hair. Your hair is the weakest when it is wet so do not massage your hair with your nails while shampooing.
- The next mistake you guys might be making is, not washing your hair thoroughly after shampooing it. The chemicals in your shampoo are meant to be washed away. Do not let the chemicals settle on your scalp.
If you are having a lot of hair fall then you know it is because some product residue is still left on your scalp. Take your time to wash the shampoo off.
- We all begin shampooing from the top of the scalp every time which is why it seems very dry. Try alternating the spot from where you start shampooing like the nape of the neck or top of the crown for your next hair wash.
- Using excess shampoo is the next mistake. Some shampoos do not produce a lot of foam. Producing foam does not imply that the shampoo is doing wonders. The ones that produce a lot of foam contain surfactants that will damage your hair. The foam is just a visual cue that your hair is being cleaned. Without the foam too, your shampoo is doing its job.
Post shampoo mistakes
- One common mistake people do is to comb and blow dry wet hair. Wrap your hair using a towel and allow the towel to soak all the water. Preferably use a turkish towel. This will avoid frizz and hair breakage. Let your hair air dry. Blow dry only semi wet hair.
How to and how often should you shampoo your hair?
Now remember you don’t have to shampoo your hair everyday else you are just stripping all the goodness out of the hair. In order to maintain your hair you do not remove all the natural oil from your scalp.
If you have dry hair then you can shampoo about two times a week. That should do. Whereas, if you have oily greasy scalp then alternative days in a week will do. Use a limited amount of shampoo, just the amount of shampoo to clean your hair.
If you have dandruff, then stop using regular shampoo. Use a shampoo that will specifically combat dandruff. Similarly if you have lice. Use antibacterial and antifungal shampoo. Incase your hair is too dry, then use a hydrating shampoo.
Always condition your hair after you are done shampooing your hair. Make sure that you use a conditioner that is of the same brand as your shampoo. This step is compulsory for both men and women. Anybody with hair on their head should condition their hair. This will strengthen and smoothen your beautiful hair.
Despite following all the hacks mentioned above if you are still facing hair fall or damaged hair, then change your shampoo. Not all shampoos are created for everybody. Probably your current shampoo is not suiting your hair.
Harmful chemicals in your shampoo
Here is a list of chemicals you should look out for while choosing your shampoo. Make sure you avoid these chemicals to prevent your hair from damaging. The chemicals are:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS)
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
- Fragrance or synthetic perfumes
Expand your horizons when it comes to your hair. Follow the hacks mentioned above and you will see drastic changes in your hair. Small changes make large differences. Protect your hair from the shampoo mistakes you have been making.